I recently returned from my third trip to Haiti. This was my first solo trip to the country (not to mention my first-ever solo international trip), and I have to admit that I was pretty nervous leading up to it. However, once I got to the country, found my ride, and got to my hotel, everything else fell into place.
It was a busy eight days of driving around the city and meeting with various people, and even though my work trips to Haiti are not that fun or exciting (it is a work trip after all), I still enjoyed spending time in the country and found a chance to do a few fun and interesting things:
• Read a couple of good books
• Took a drive into the mountains (well, my driver drove; I just enjoyed the view)
• Ate delicious food
• Met many wonderful people
• Rode a moto-taxi through the streets of Port-au-Prince
• Attempted (and failed miserably) to speak Creole
• Met a fugitive on the lamb
• Played with many adorable children
• Was amazed at the goodness in people
Every time I visit Haiti, I fall even more in love with the country and the people, and I can’t wait to go back!